Print This Page

Mary Jane

..... SOLD .....

A 1936 Twin-Screw Motor-Yacht & DUNKIRK LITTLE SHIP built by the Admiralty / Joseph White, Fulham

Mary Jane
Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane Mary Jane

Overall Length: 42ft. (12.80m) :: Waterline: 41ft. 9ins. (12.72m) :: Beam: 11ft. 9ins. (3.58m) :: Draught: 3ft. 6ins. (1.06m) :: Displacement: 22 Tons T M

Engine: Twin 55hp Peugeot Diesels :: Designer: Admiralty :: Builder: Joe White :: Location: London

Sail: n/a :: Berths: Six :: Year: 1936 :: Price: sold

Broker's Details:

HISTORY & DESCRIPTION:

Mary Jane is an authenticated DUNKIRK LITTLE SHIP

The rescue of 385,000 British and French soldiers from the beaches of Dunkirk averted a great military disaster. Hundreds of motor-yachts like Mary Jane with her shoal-draft were pressed in to service to ferry service-men out to the off lying ships. In 2010 a flotilla of about fifty Little Ships once again made the crossing to Dunkirk to mark the 70th anniversary of Operation Dynamo. About two hundred Little Ships currently form the Association co-founded in 1964 by television journalist Raymond Baxter and Mary Jane is a participant in ADLS event including the Diamond Jubilee Pageant.

In 1936 Lt.-Col. H S C Richardson commissioned boatbuilder Joe White of Fulham to convert a 40ft Admiralty Pinnace built in 1926 to a comfortable motor-yacht for his family. The conversion was a great success and Uffa Fox featured Mary Jane in his 1938 book Thoughts on Yachts & Yachting.

After the Second World War, Lt.-Col. Richardson, now an OBE and DL of Ballinamallard, Ireland continued to own Mary Jane until the late 1940's when Col. W Sturmy Cave of Basil Mansions, London became Mary Jane's new owner. In 1954 R G Gardiner of Thurston House, Fareham acquired the vessel selling in 1959 to Mrs R J Giles of Hornbrook Nurseries, Horsham who moored Mary Jane in Birdham Pool, West Sussex. R H Everett of Holm Island, Staines became the next registered owner mooring Mary Jane on the River Thames at Wraysbury. In 1969 A J Lapham of Chelsea Cloisters, London acquired Mary Jane keeping her at Sunbury on Thames.

Double diagonal teak Admiralty specification hull copper fastened to steamed oak timbers with additional pitch-pine topsides added during the conversion. Sheathed decks, varnished teak superstructure.

Long straight keel, divided transom stern, shaped stem, round bilges.

Traditional, well planned accommodation with original 1936 panelling.

Twin berth aft stateroom.

Deck Saloon / Wheelhouse.

Lower Saloon with two settee berths.

Twin berth fore cabin.

Separate galley.

Heads compartment.

Fly-Bridge.

Twin 2.5 litre Peugeot diesel engines.

Full fitted cover by Jeckells.

BROKERS NOTE:

A rare opportunity to purchase one of the well known Dunkirk Little Ships with an interesting history and offered in full commission at a realistic price.

Guide: Sold

Lying: London

Viewing: Through the brokers