HISTORY and DESCRIPTION:
TALARIA, ex: MAYBO was designed by Harry Gibb and built in 1948 by Gibbs of Trowlock Island, Teddington for Mrs Sally Jackson of South Lodge, St John’s Wood, London.
From the late 1920s, Gibbs of Teddington produced a series of stock estuary and river cruiser of standard sizes, principally featuring the break-deck style of the period with centre wheelhouse and aft cabin and well.
They were one of the first production cruisers to be offered complete and ready to use, fully equipped with crockery, glassware and bedding.
TALARIA is one of the standard 35ft class, registered in 1948 in London. In the mid-1950s M W Keen of High Wycombe became the second owner followed by Betty Oataway of Thames Ditton in 1965. In the 1970s Paul Gerlach of Watford acquired TALARIA keeping her on a mooring at Hurley on the River Thames.
TALARIA was purchased by the current owner some years ago and has since been the subject of a keel-up professional restoration. Following completion of the work, TALARIA was not commissioned and so will require some final fitting-out before use this season. The restoration work has been completed to a high standard with quality internal hardwood joinery. The wheelhouse was re-built by Bushnells Boatyard in the 1970s. All electrics overhauled during the re-fit and new fuse box installed.
Gibbs Motor-Cruisers have become, in recent years much sought-after and offer traditional styling with good-sized live-aboard or extended cruising accommodation, ideal weekend or holiday boats as originally designed from the 1930s to 1950s.
Carvel mahogany planked hull, recently re-caulked on steamed oak timbers, copper clench nail fastened. Varnished mahogany superstructure and brightwork. Marine-ply decks all re-canvassed. Long straight keel, transom stern with attractive tumblehome, straight slightly raked stem and round bilges. Mahogany fitted interior offering four berths in two cabins.
Fore Cabin: Berths to port and starboard with lockers below, skylight, forehatch and access to:
Heads Compartment: Portable WC. Washbasin to starboard with mahogany lifting cover, lockers and drawers below.
Wheelhouse: Helm position to port with a spoked wheel and engine instrumentation. Sliding side deck doors, access below sole to:
65hp FORD 490E 6 CYLINDER DIESEL ENGINE circa 1975, rebuilt about 1990.
Aft Saloon: Upholstered settee berths to port and starboard, lockers below. Bulkhead sideboard with lockers and drawers. Half bulkhead to:
Galley: with gas cooker to starboard with locker below and stainless steel sink unit to port with locker below. Double half doors opening to stern deck.
VIEWING: Through CLASSIC YACHT BROKERAGE