HISTORY & DESCRIPTION:
The Gallant 53 was designed by the celebrated naval architect and yacht designer, E.G. Van de Stadt; the culmination of his pioneering work and vast experience in the development of offshore glass fibre yachts for which he became internationally renowned. To many eyes this Van de Stadt design is still one of the most attractive ever conceived with beautiful lines and superb proportions. In 1967 the Gallant 53 was awarded the Lloyd’s Register of Shipping 1968 Yacht Trophy for outstanding design, performance and craftsmanship – then universally recognised as the highest distinction any designer and yard may hope to achieve. She was the longest GRP production yacht in her day, but still considered a “Gentleman’s yacht”. They soon gained a reputation for their good looks, bulletproof construction, superb motion in a seaway and as has been proved, the ease with which they can be handled with a minimum crew. Twenty two were built as ketches or cutter-rigged sloops by Southern Ocean Shipyard Ltd and by Tylers in England from 1967 to 1973. It was (Dame) Naomi James however, who set off from Dartmouth on 9 September 1977 to sail round the world on the Gallant 53 “EXPRESS CRUSADER”. During the voyage, she nearly lost her mast, capsized and had no radio for several weeks. Completing the voyage on 8 June 1978 after 272 days, she beat Sir Francis Chichester’s then solo round-the-world sailing record by two days, the first woman to sail single-handed around the world via Cape Horn.
LOA: 16.20 m
Beam: 4.0 m
LWL: 11.90 m
Maximum Draft: 2.45 m
Displacement: 19600 kgs
Ballast: 6 kgs
Total Power: 92.5 HP
Engine Brand: PERKINS
Engine Model: 6.354.4
Engine Type: Inboard
Engine/Fuel Type: Diesel
Propeller: 3 blade propeller
Drive Type: Direct Drive
Engine Power: 92 HP
Cruising Speed: 7 knots @ 1500 RPM
Fresh Water Tanks: 2 Stainless steel (375 Liters)
Fuel Tanks: Stainless steel (750 Liters)
Number of single berths: 4
Number of twin berths: 2
Number of cabins: 2
Number of bathrooms: 2
HULL & DECK
- White hull, heavy duty construction G.R.P.
- Blue stripes on the top and blue lily at fore end
- Long fin keel with internal lead ballast (6 tons), separate rudder
- Bow Propeller VETUS 130 Kgf
- G.R.P. sandwich deck construction
DECK EQUIPMENT & FITTINGS
- Scupper drains built into deck, draining to underwater with seacocks giving unbroken
bulwark all round
- Ventilation: completely waterproof built in trunking port and starboard cowl ventilators to
- Bow fittings in heavy stainless steel, incorporating fairlead, chain rollers, tack and
forestay tang through bolted cheek plates
- SESTREL original compass, n° 9372/V
- WINCHES :
- n° 2 x Primary : Barbarossa 74-3 ST three speed power ratio
- n° 2 x Secondary : Lewmar 52 standard
- n° 1 x Main sail sheet : Lewmar spring jaws 37 ST
- n° 2 x Main sail traveler : Harken B16.2 ST
- n° 1 x Reef lines : Harken B16.2 ST
- n° 3 x Halyards : 2x Lewmar 43 wave grip ST + 1x Lewmar 40
- n° 2 Genoa tracks in chrome plated bronze
- Lewmar “D-2” stoppers.
- Alloy hatches Goyot / Lewmar.
- Alloy portholes Lewmar
- Lofrans Tiger 1500 Watt. windlass with chain gypsy and rope drum. –
- 30 kg Force anchor + 100 m chain 14mm
- 6X Alloy mooring cleats.
- Fairleads, four for bow and stern lines, two for springs
- Polished stainless steel stanchions, side gates, pulpit and pushpit.
- Single spreaders SPARLIGHT aluminium mast with batt-cars track
- Aluminium boom with boomkicker vang
- Mainsail traveler.
- All navigation lights, 2 spreader lights, 2 deck lights
- Steel wire standing rigging.
- RECKMANN manual Furlers (convertible in Tuff-Luff system) for both Staysail and Yankee jib
- Rigging : forestay 2014; staysail stay 2010; higher diagonals 2013; higher rigging 2010; lower rigging 2010; backstay 2013
- PERKINS 6.354.4 92.5 Hp engine (cruising speed 7.3 kts @ 1500 rpm)
- Hydraulic transmission “VELVET DRIVE”, AQUAMED stainless steel shaft.
- RADICE 3 blade propeller
- Stainless steel fuel tanks 350 + 350 + 50 litres
- RACOR centrifugal fuel filter / water separator for both engine and generator
- 150 Amp. 24V and 80 Amp. 12V alternators for engine and service batteries
- Silent blocks
- Stainless steel fresh water tanks 2×375 Lt each
- Grey water holding tank 150 Lt
- n° 2 x Fresh water pumps.
- n° 1 x Grey water pump.
- n° 1 x Salt water pump
- n° 2 x electrical self priming bilge pumps.
- n° 1 x manual bilge pump
- 40 Lt Boiler.
- 12V \ 24V \ 220V separate electric systems, with multiple 220V sockets
- 430 Ah @ 24 V service batteries Pack
- 200 Ah @ 12 V service battery
- 100 Ah @ 24 V engine batteries pack
- 80 Ah 12 V generator battery
- 100 Ah @ 24 V Bow propeller dedicated battery pack
- COELMO diesel generator 3,5 Kwh
- Quick 80 Ah 24 Volts Battery charger.
- Quick 50 Ah 12 Volts Battery charger
- Double alternator 150 Amp. 24 Volts + 80 Amp. 12 Volts alternator for
services batteries charge.
- Stainless steel waterproof shore power plug 220 V.
- Built in top loading fridge (60 Lt) and freezer (40 Lt), side door fridge 80 Lt – all 24 V
- ALPES Inox gas stove with 3 burners and oven
- Stainless steel sink with fresh and salt water taps
- Lockers and shelving outboard
- Hot and cold pressure water operated by two different switchable pumps
- 60 lt/h SCHENKER water-maker MODULAR 60
- Locker in galley with centralised console to control fresh and salt water
- Pressure salt water supply pump
- 2x Electric bilge pumps
- Edson manual double action bilge pump
- Fresh water shower beside the cockpit
- Salt water supply for anchor chain cleaning
- n° 2x Jabsco manual WC
- Gray waters holding tank 150 Lt
The interior is built to top-level naval carpentry standards in mahogany plywood and teak joinery
All corners and edges are rounded off with consistent rays, using laminated or solid wood, all surfaces are finished with a heavy layer varnish
- FORE CABIN Large double berth, wooden bookshelves and clothes lockers
- OWNER’S CABIN situated athwartships, this cabin has one normal lower and one large upper berths with shelved lockers. Large mirror fronted cabinet with cloth-hangers and lockers, fan ventilation, en suite bathroom with shower.
- SALOON Full width, with a comfort 8 places dining table. 2 settee berths, port and starboard with stowage under and shelves and lockers outboard
- GALLEY To portside and aft of the salon with 3 burners and oven stainless steel cooker by ALPES INOX, one freezer and two fridge.
- NAV. AREA Chart table opposite to starboard. Lifting top and drawers under, With full instrumentation (list follows). Well planned with full size chart table, lockers, 12V, 24V and 220V control panels.
- CREW’S BERTHS, n° 2, situated aft, either portside and starboard to stepway from cockpit
- RAYMARINE Windstation, anemometer, wind direction and wind angle
- RAYMARINE Tridata (Speed, log and depth)
- RAYMARINE Auto-pilot ST60+
- VHF ICOM IC-M411.
- Portable VHF ICOM
- GPS / chart plotter / radar RAYTHEON RL70 PATHFINDER
- WINDOWS PC, projected for marine use, 12V powered, fanless, provides ITERNET CONNECTION
and GPS / Chart Plotter (with its dedicated GPS antenna)
- PIONEER stereo MP3/WMA CD player with USB
SAILS by SAILORWEAR sailmakers
- Main sail (47,16 sqm) : Dacron, 3 reefing lines, Rutgerson batt-cars and track, new 2010
- Yankee (55,7 sqm ) : Dacron, on Reckmann manual furler, new 2011
- Staysail (20,46 sqm ) : Dacron, on Reckmann manual furler, new 2011
- Gennaker (156,3 sqm) : Nylon, with snuffer sock, new 2009
- Bow propeller VETUS 130 Kgf
- Safety standard equipment. Liferaft for 12 person.
- Cockpit dining table
- Deck cushions for cockpit seats
- Custom made sun-tents protecting up to 80% of the deck
- Stainless steel-teak 2.5 mt. passerelle
- Teak swimming ladder.
- Lofrans Tiger windlass 1500 W
- Force anchor 30 Kg + 100 mt. Chain 14mm
- G.R.P. Hard Keel Tender with 15 Hp outboard engine
Most recent refit works :
- rudder steering gearbox and rudder shaft check complete revision
- new custom made hatches for galley / chart area
- galley and chart area ceiling renewal
- saloon and owner’s cabin wooden ceiling renewal
- PERKINS engine complete revision
- new exhaust system
- engine’s room bildge renewed
- complete propeller and propeller shaft checks
- SCHENKER water maker complete revision
- all JABSCO WCs revision
- RECKMAN yankee and staysail furlers revision
- cockpit renewal
- new grip on the deck
- COELMO 3,5 Kw generator complete revision
- new services battery pack (4x 215 Ah @ 12V = 430 Ah @ 24V)
Nogoli was built for the De Tomaso Shipping Company, Bournemouth in 1970.
The design, one of twenty-two built from 1968 -1973 have, deservedly a tremendous reputation as long distance cruisers, offering good performance combined with good looks and generous accommodation.
LYING: ITALYVIEWING: Through the brokers