HISTORY & DESCRIPTION:
During the mid 1930’s William Osborne drew up plans for a new motor-yacht design to be known as the Swallow Class. The design included features of the period with a flavour of Art Deco styling and lots of chrome fittings. The class was re-designed a few years later with the Swallow Senior, of which probably the most well known is Naiad Errant , the famous Dunkirk Little Ship.
The Swallow was built for D W Hudson of Hove, Sussex in 1936 and launched under the name of Gwen 111.
In 1939 Arthur Verley of London became the second owner, being a member of the Royal Jamacia Yacht Club & Little Ship Club. During the Second World War E C Ferrerira of Tintagel, Cornwall acquired the vessel and re-named her Poffles 1V. In the early 1950’s A R G Harvey of Dartmouth became the fourth owner, followed by D W Vinall of Newquay. In the early 1960’s G W Bell of Uckfield, Sussex acquired Poffles 1V with Ian Davies of Epsom, Surrey buying her in 1963 and moving her to a mooring in Chichester.
M J Caldwell of London became the eighth successive owner in 1974, continuing to keep Poffles V1 on a mooring at Dell Quay. In 1976 C R Martin bought the vessel and moved her up to the River Thames at Swan Island, Twickenham where she became a liveaboard. The present owners bought her ten years ago from Twickenham and after some refurbishment moved Poffles V1 on to the Stratford River Avon where she was re-named Julian.
Julian is of traditional carvel planked construction, nominal inch pitch-pine, copper fastened to steamed oak timbers, doubled, as original over the keelson to give added strength. Long straight keel, straight slightly raked stem, flared bow and attractive shaped transom stern with tumblehome aft and tucked in round bilges. Recent replaced timbers in the foreward section. Sheathed pine t&g decks. Recent raised wheelhouse sole to accommodate the new diesel engines and raised wheelhouse to give added headroom, including enlarged forward companionway. Internal trimming ballast.
The vessel has been subject to recent refurbishment but does still require the internal joinery replacing. This gives scope to set out the accommodation to individual preference. Whilst the aft cabin is partly completed. With fitted sink unit, fridge (240 volt /12 volt) and two settee berths. Five opening brass scuttles, stern hatch. Centre Wheelhose with original helm to port, engine console and morse controls. Twin 110 litre Vetus fuel tanks.
Oak sole with Twin 13.5 hp Beta 14 Diesel Engines below, fitted new in 2003. Two cylinder, naturally aspirated, diesel propulsion engines developing 13.5 bhp at 3,600 rpm with a swept volume of 479 cc. Raw water cooled. Shaft driven twin propellers.
Foreward cabin with steps up to forehatch, six original opening scuttles.
New Sigma diesel stove (not yet fitted) Electric heads (not fitted) 240 volt microwave.
Deck stepped signals mast. Stockless anchor, windlass, foredeck stanchions. Electric bilge pump with float switch. 240 volt shore-power. 12 volt system with battery charger.
Boat Safety Scheme Certificate to 2015
Like many of the bespoke motor-yachts of the 1930’s in recent years Osborne built craft have becoming increasingly rare and sought-after. Julian is no exception and is offered at a very realistic price to allow a purchase to fit-out the interior to their own requirements. The vessel is ‘on the button’ and in useable condition so can immediately be enjoyed during the Summer months.
Viewing: Through the brokers