HISTORY & DESCRIPTION:
The Omega Design dates from 1936 and is the last in a series of yachts with a 22ft 6ins waterline and transom stern from the well respected Dr. T Harrison Butler. The design conforms to the metacentric principal with the heeled and upright centres of areas practically coinciding. OMEGA is a development of the successful Cyclone and Englyn designs.
OMEGA of BROOM is one of five surviving examples of the design and was built in 1938/39 by Southampton Launch & Boat Company for Clive Clarke who owned the vessel until 1949 keeping her at Lymington. Thomas Law briefly became OMEGA’s next owner followed by Dr T Kennerly and then Dr F Scott. In 1960 Wing Cmdr. Anthony Brown acquired the vessel, mooring her in Poole Harbour. Lt. Cmdr. Peter London DSC RN bought OMEGA in 1966, moving her to Cornwall before selling in 1969 to Robert and Manette Van Hooghtien of Ghent. In 1982 Liam O’Carrol purchased OMEGA eventually laying her up in France where in the early 1990s she was bought by Roy Aldworth of Cornwall. Roy shipped her back to the England where a total restoration began at this farm. OMEGA was re-launched in the late 1990s and moored in Plymouth Sound. In new ownership, OMEGA was sailed to the East Coast where she is currently stationed.
PORT OF REGISTRY – LONDON
OFFICIAL No. – 187658
HARRISON BUTLER ASSOCIATION SAIL NUMBER – OA263
Built in 1938 and completed in 1939 of pitch pine with some new larch planking, steamed oak frames copper fastened with a swept laid teak deck with iron ballast keel, aft cockpit, bumpkin, tiller steering, Bermudan sloop rig and 2 + 2 berth interior with a maximum standing headroom of around 6’. The deep cockpit is not self-draining. Mast-out, strong winter cover made in Topgun material.
Yanmar 2GM2 20HP twin cylinder inboard diesel engine with raw water cooling. Engine installed new in 2005. 10-gallon fuel tank. Shaft drive to Brunton auto-prop. Cruising speed under engine is 4 – 5 knots with a maximum speed of 6 knots.
Sails and Rig:
A very good set of Westaway sails, Main, Genoa, No.1 jib and small storm jib. Roller reefing main (2011), with cover (2007), Separate hanked-on Genoa (2011) and jib (2011). Douglas fir mast and boom and stainless steel standing rigging (2006). Cockpit cover (2007).
Sestrel compass, Clipper duet echo sounder and log. Navman GMDSS DSC/VHF radio used in conjunction with a Raymarine handheld GPS and electronic chart display, clock, barometer, navigation light, steaming light, tri-colour masthead light and anchor light. 12v DC dual battery system which can be configured to run individually or in parallel through a main battery selector switch. This supplies engine start, cabin lighting, Navigation lights, bilge pump, power to the cockpit for the compass light, and to the chart table and base of the mast. The batteries are charged through the engine alternator but there is also a small solar panel which can be connected.
Stanchions and guard wires, cockpit cover, winter cover, tiller, 2 sheet winches and 2 halyard winches. Fortress FX11 15lb main anchor with chain and warp, mooring warps and fenders.
Lifebuoy, 2 fire extinguishers, electric and manual bilge pumps.
Galley with an Origo 2 burner spirit stove, a stainless steel bowl for water and a pumped water supply from a 20-litre tank. Marine heads in the forepeak. Gimballed oil lamp in the main saloon as well as electric overhead lighting. The berth/seat in red vinyl upholstery.
Four berths including two single settee berths in the saloon (port and starboard) with galley to starboard and chart table to port. Forward of the mast (keel stepped) a single berth to starboard and a pipe-cot to port. Interior is white painted and varnished. Standing headroom of aprox. 6’ Opening portlights and for’ard deck hatch.
LYING: East Coast (ashore)
VIEWING: Through CLASSIC YACHT BROKERAGE