HISTORY & CONSTRUCTION:
WALLOP was designed and built by Harry Feltham in Portsmouth in 1929 for her first owner S Tonkin of London W1. Later registered in Southampton, official number 161711.
In the late 1930s, Major Robert Spencer M C, J P of London W2 acquired WALLOP keeping her in Southampton. After the War, R E Burgess of Chelmsford bought the vessel altering her from a cutter to a ketch rig in 1951 (altered back to cutter rig in 1956) In the early 1960s Clive Debenham of Harley Street, W1 became the next registered owner mooring WALLOP at Burnham on Crouch. In 1972 Christopher Calder of Reigate, Surrey bought the vessel keeping her during the 1980s until bought by the current owners some 30 years ago. During an extensive refit in 1994, additional floors were added and the hull strengthened with new bilge stringers bolted through the hull with bronze bolts and a steel frame added forward of the mast.
WALLOP was last surveyed in 2018 since when extensive repairs and renovations have been carried out.
Length on deck 28’6″
Length overall 36′ (including bowsprit and bumpkin)
Pitch pine carvel planked on closely spaced steam-bent oak frames, all copper fastened.
Oak floors. External long iron ballast keel and some internal lead ballast.
Decks and cockpit
Yacht laid teak deck over a marine ply sub-deck, new in 1994. Swept teak deck joggled to a king plank with varnished cover boards, margin boards and varnished teak toe rail.
The cockpit was also constructed in 1994 and is a deep safe design with thwarts either side and a bridge deck. Varnished teak cockpit coamings with lockers under the side-decks.
Varnished teak coachroof coamings with round bronze portlights. Sheathed marine plywood coachroof finished with non-slip paint. Coachroof new in 2012. Varnished teak sliding companionway hatch. Varnished teak hatch on foredeck.
Bermudian cutter rig on a keel stepped varnished solid wooden mast with a varnished wooden slab reefing boom.
Stainless steel rigging with spiced eyes to stainless rigging screws and external bronze chainplates. Single spreader with twin lower shrouds and a single cap shroud. Standing backstay to a bumpkin and running backstays to bronze Highfield levers on the side decks. Inner forestay to the stemhead with handed on self-tacking staysail. Outer forestay integral with the jib, which has a Wyckham Martin furling system.
Main, Jib and staysail all made by James Lawrence of Brightlingsea.
2 mast winches
2 cockpit sheet winches.
35hp BMC CAPTAIN four-cylinder diesel installed in 1994. Freshwater cooled with a heat exchanger. A stainless steel shaft and 3 blade bronze propeller give a cruising speed of 5 knots and max 7 knots. The engine was overhauled in 2019.
25-gallon stainless fuel tank under cockpit locker.
25-gallon stainless water tank under opposite cockpit locker.
Vented gas locker in the rear deck holds 2 gas tanks.
2 x 12 volt batteries under starboard cockpit locker.
A single set of steps down from the bridge deck into the saloon with galley to port. Wide cabin sole with painted sole boards. Fold-down chart table hinged to bulkhead at forward end of the saloon. Passageway to starboard of the mast into the forepeak. Hanging locker to starboard, heads compartment with sea toilet to port.
Gimballed Flavel 2 burner gas stove with grill and oven. Bronze tap on bulkhead from the water tank.
2 saloon settee berths and 2 forepeak berths. A stretcher cot above the starboard settee berth.
Sestrel steering compass.
Echopilot sounder and log.
4 life jackets
CQR 30 lbs anchor and chain
CQR 15lbs kedge anchor
A first-class traditional cruising yacht, exceptionally well maintained in long and knowledgeable joint-ownership. Proven, weatherly design and ideal for short-handed sailing from her East Coast-based mooring. Viewing Recommended.
LYING: East Coast
VIEWING: Through CLASSIC YACHT BROKERAGE