HYPATIA – HISTORY & DESCRIPTION:
HYPATIA was built by W Watkins & Co. Blackwall, London to Lloyds 100A1 for P Burnham Esq of Overstrand Mansions, London and first launched in 1896. The design by William Watkins featured a centre-board, very unusual for Victorian yachts of the period, but reflected the first owners wish for a more modest draught for sailing in the shoal waters of the Thames Estuary. Named after the female Greek philosopher. Centre-board removed in 1909, whilst in Hull where she was laid-up during the First World War. Lead ballast keel fitted and draught increased from original 3ft (plate-up) to current 5ft 6ins.
In 1903 W P Sayer of Southsea became HYPATIA’s new owner followed by J M Hamilton of Hull in 1905. J M Hamilton died in 1927, his trustees keeping the vessel for two years before selling her to R A Nicholson of Westminster. In 1933 Major General Bogratani (Russian) of London bought HYPATIA keeping her through the Second World War, where she was laid-up for the duration at Moody’s Yard before F Young of Totland, Isle of Wight bought her in 1947, converting her to a ketch rig. Herbert Rose of Winchester became the next registered owner in 1959 followed by Alexander Smith of Colchester in 1968. The following year R C Woods of Colchester acquired HYPATIA. In 1971 Piers Butler of Poole bought the vessel before selling in 1973 to the current owner.
HYPATIA has proven herself to be an ideal family yacht, cruising to Holland, Belgium, France and the West Country. She was moored in Veere, Holland for some 22 years before being stationed once more on the East Coast. Now after over forty-five years very happy ownership the owner has retired from sailing and is looking for the next custodian to take over the ownership and care of this historic yacht.
Teak planked hull on sawn oak frames and steam bent oak timbers. Professionally replaced deck of Iroko over marine-ply, West System. Teak and Mahogany dog-house, cabin coamings and cockpit. Teak brightwork. Clipper bow, counter stern, relatively flat sheer, fine entry making her particularly fast off the wind.
Traditional interior having four berths in two cabins. Mahogany joinery, well over 6ft headroom in the saloon. Villager solid fuel stove, 12-volt mobile furnace heater.
Galley with two-burner gas cooker and grill. 100 litres freshwater capacity fed from two brass tanks via hand pump over galley sink. Icetrue mobile 12-volt fridge.
Separate heads compartment with Jabsco marine WC fitted in 2000.
GAFF CUTTER KETCH RIG:
New main mast and standing rigging 2004.
Twelve sails in various condition from very good to serviceable.
Tan Gaff Main, Yellow Water Sail, White Storm Jib, Tan Staysail, Tan, Storm Staysail, Tan Reaching Staysail, Tan Mizzen, Blue Mizzen Staysail, White Topsail, Tan Jib, Blue Genoa, Red Spinnaker.
46hp MERCEDES-BENZ OM636 1.6 litre Diesel Engine (1978)
Hurst 2:1 Gearbox. Quarter mounted, new propeller 2004. Heat exchanger cooling system, 82-litre fuel capacity with a brass tank. Full engine console and Morse control. 12-volt lighting with a transformer from 2 batteries.
Zodiac C240 tender
Custom made winter cover and spars.
CQR bower and Fisherman type kedge anchors with 20 fathoms chain.
Life jackets, two lifebuoys, boarding ladder
Automatic and hand bilge pumps
An extremely rare opportunity to acquire a much-loved family boat, a rare survivor of an unspoilt, period late Victorian yacht. Much admired and considered, at the time by Maurice Griffiths to be ‘the most beautiful boat on the East Coast’
Well cared for in the current long ownership however due to the advanced age of the owner not sailed last season. Some fitting out and cosmetic improvement require, but a good survey from 2012 suggests HYPATIA has been kept up over the years. A regular successful participator and cup winner in previous Old Gaffer meets and a registered historic ship.
September 2019 lift-out and professional hull re-paint and antifoul
LYING: River Crouch, Essex
VIEWING: Through the agents’ CLASSIC YACHT BROKERAGE – 01905-356482