New Listing: 36ft. ELKINS KETCH MOTOR-YACHT – Lying: River Medway
HISTORY & DESCRIPTION:
MANISHI was designed & built for Major Iver Mackenzie Bellairs of Keyhaven by Elkins of Christchurch in 1936, registered in Poole, Official No. 166938.
During the war J W Ewen of Southgate, London acquired MANISHI keeping her in Poole Harbour.
In 1955 Stanley Parkinson of Bracken Lodge, Shadwell, Yorkshire bought the vessel selling to James Isherwood of Walton on Thames in the late 1950s.
Gordon Whiting of Eltham, London became the next registered owner in 1965 moving MANISHI to a mooring at Walton on the Naze. Gordon had previously owned the Elkins designed and built WANDA, a Dunkirk Little Ship.
In 1975 L Mainwaring of Queens Head Hotel, Walton on the Naze purchased the vessel selling in 1980 to W D Darby of Canvey Island. During the 1980s MANISHI was moored on Canvey Island. In new ownership, she was moved on to the River Medway near Rochester.
The current family have owned MANISHI for many years and she has successfully cruised the South-East Coast and the English Channel. She now requires some upgrading and essential hull repairs as recommended in a recent condition report by a wooden boat specialist.
Carvel pitch-pine hull, copper fastened to steam bent Canadian Rock-Elm timbers and sawn Oak frames. Oak back-bone and floors.
Sheathed pine decks, Mahogany wheelhouse and aft cabin coamings. Mahogany skylight, hatches, rubbing strake and brightwork. Straight vertical stem, round bilges, long ballast iron keel, transom stern and traditional three-quarter break to flush foredeck. Keelbolts changed in 1980.
Pair 48hp BMC COMMANDER DIESEL ENGINES, fitted new 1966, raw-water cooled.
1.5 hp Stuart Turner charging plant.
Clipper & Garmin navigation equipment. Autohelm, Kent Clear View screen.
CQR Anchor and 3/8th chain. Eugur manual anchor winch.
AUXILIARY KETCH RIG – sets 280sq.ft plain sail.
SIX BERTHS IN THREE CABINS.
Twin berth fore cabin.
Full-width galley with gas cooker and sink unit.
Saloon with port and starboard settee berths, original polished Mahogany joinery, lead-light cabinets, drop-leaf table.
Wheelhouse with port helm position and console.
Aft Stateroom two single berths and Blake marine WC.
An extremely desirable, well-built ‘classic’ 1930s motor-yacht in remarkably original condition, very rare to find these days, something of a time warp, offering scope for sympathetic refurbishment. A wealth of period fittings and fine original joinery to the main saloon. A convenient size for extended cruising, living aboard or exploring the French Waterways.
Waterline: 35ft 9ins
Beam: 9ft 6ins
Displacement: 13 Tons T M
Engine: Pair 48hp BMC Commander Diesels
Berths: Four/Six Berths in three cabins
Sail: Auxilary Kech Rig - 270 sq.ft
Designer: Ernest Elkins
Builder: Elkins of Christchurch
Year Built: 1936
Location: River Medway