HISTORY and DESCRIPTION:
EMBLEM was built in 1934 to a traditional Scottish Seine Netter / Herring Drifter design by J G Forbes & Co. Boatbuilder of Sandhaven on the Moray Firth. The yard was established by the Forbes brothers in 1900 and soon gained a reputation throughout the UK for well-built vessels, primarily to the fishing fleet. The yard continued in family ownership until the last wooden boat was built in 1990, closing in 1992 ending nearly a century of traditional boatbuilding on the Firth.
EMBLEM was built for Mr Ralph of Lossiemouth and launched in July 1934, named CRAIG – fishing under the number INS 85 from Inverness. In 1950 the present Gardner 4L3 dating from 1944 was fitted replacing the original Petter engine.
In 1957 John Noble of Frazerborough took ownership followed by Joe Noble in 1959 renaming the vessel EMBLEM.
In 1961 EMBLEM was bought by R G Kemp Shipyard in Southampton before being sold to John Hill of Southampton in 1963. E D Hosford of Bedford bought EMBLEM in 1974 converting her to a motor-sailer and registering the vessel with Lloyds and fishing under SU38 from Southampton.
The current owners bought EMBLEM in the 1990s and have kept up a regular maintenance schedule whilst keeping the vessel in a traditional style of the period.
Larch planked hull, iron dump fastened to sawn oak frames. Oak centre-line, beam shelves, deck beams and original solid laid deck.
Straight plumb stem, canoe stern, long keel and distinct period MFV swept sheer.
Principally converted out of fishing in the 1970s the former hold has been converted to a spacious saloon with galley to the forward bulkhead to starboard. Pine and mahogany joinery.
Fore Cabin, berths to port and starboard.
Saloon with port side settee/berth. Folding table, shelving. Dinette to starboard.
Galley with stainless steel sink unit, gas hob, washing machine, pantry lockers having </span></span><span style=”font-family: tahoma, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small;”>worktops over.
Heads Compartment, Blake pump-out wc and wash basin.
Dedicated Engine Room housing the 75hp four-cylinder 4L3 GARDNER DIESEL ENGINE, dating from 1944 and fitted in 1950. Lister Generator. Bank of batteries. Heating system.
Aft Cabin with berths to port and starboard. Access to stern lazarette.
Deck Saloon / Wheelhouse with dinette seating and table aft.
Central helm with engine controls and instrumentation. Side deck doors.
Auxiliary Ketch Rig
VIEWING: CLASSIC YACHT BROKERAGE – 01905-356482