FLORA of GREENOCK – HISTORY & CONSTRUCTION:
Twin-Screw Motor Yacht
Builder: Silvers of Rosneath 1936
Designer: John Bain
Length: 65 ft 60.9 ft wl
Beam: 14 ft 6 in
Draft: 6 ft 6 in
Berth: 6 guests in 3 cabins
Construction: Pitch Pine planking on heavy oak frames with teak superstructure
Motive power: 2X Gardner 6LW 96 HP diesel
Cruising Speed: 8,5 knots
Official Little ship from WW2
Built by Silvers of Rosneath, Scotland in 1936 to an Ormidale style design by in-house designer and yard director John Bain, for William Hood of Dundee and launched as ROBIN HOOD,
In the ownership of Laurence Ryan of Cardiff re-named AZALIA in 1960 and moored in Southampton.
Classic John Bain with long keel, powerful, flared bow and canoe stern.
Planked in pitch-pine all copper and bronze fastened to heavy grown oak frames with oak
intermediates on an oak backbone.
External iron ballast keel, after end bolts replaced in 1998 and 2006.
Hydraulic steering to new 1998 rudder, stock and bearings. All hydraulics new in 2006 and fitted
with Furuno autopilot, plotter and radar.
Teak decks, foredeck replaced in 1985. After and mid-ships deck replaced in 2006.
Raised midships deck section with varnished teak superstructure containing the helm position,
extended aft by Camper and Nicholson in 1966 to provide a sheltered area on the after deck (re-designed in 2006).
Raised midship deck over the saloon extends forward with step down to fore deck providing a
a large wide sun-bathing area with side decks either side of the wheelhouse.
Spacious after deck with high stanchions having teak capping all around ( re-galvanised in 2006)
skylight over aft cabin (replaced in 2006) and small teak hatch to bosuns locker.
The vessel has been refitted between 2006 to 2008 in Denmark by Københavns Yacht Service
All varnish completely re-finished inside and out. New copper waterline. New Diesel and freshwater
and waste tanks. New hydraulics. New teak decks mid-ships and after. Cuban-mahogany panels
and original 1930s Cuban-mahogany furniture in the saloon fully restored.
New galley with gas stove and oven, microwave, refrigerator. Marble worktops and mahogany fronted pantry and crockery lockers.
New Cabins – Master aft stateroom and Guest double cabin with mahogany interior, crew cabin foreward fitted with ash joinery.
New Heads/Shower with electric seawater toilet, shower and washing machine.
New electrical system 24v /220 v all wiring and switchboard ( Victron ) 2006
Diesel fired central heating and hot water from 2006 system with all new radiators.
Twin Gardner 6-cyl 6LW 96 HP handed, fresh water cooled diesel engines, installed 1966, rebuilt
1990 with replacement blocks, pistons and heads. 1998 top overhaul + new shafts, bearings and
Gardner boxes 8.5 cruising speed.
2016 domestic and engine start batteries replaced.
2900 litre diesel tanks, 860-litre fresh water tanks, 670-litre waste tanks
Brass binnacle compass, Furuno plotter, fish finder and autopilot (2006) VHF, Navtext, Radar,
GPS, Searchlight, horn, Kent clear-screen, Electric windlass, two Anchors and chain, life jackets, etc
A top quality classic 1930s motor-yacht of great class and distinction. Restored to an extremely high standard yet retaining the elegance and style of the period. Tastefully updated with modern systems and equipment and powered by much sought-after Gardner engines. A superb vessel for extended cruising living aboard or exploring the waterways of Europe. Viewing highly recommended.
Full photographic record and documentation of the restoration.
Contact us for more information or to arrange a visit aboard.
LYING: Copenhagen, Denmark (Danish Flag)
VIEWING: Through CLASSIC YACHT BROKERAGE