HISTORY & DESCRIPTION:
CAMPERDOWN was designed and built at Groves and Gutteridge Ltd in Cowes in 1964 and was first registered in Lloyd’s Register of Yachts in 1965. She was built for Lt. Cdr. Sir William Twysden Bt. R.N. of Merida Park, Torquay and was the last wooden boat to be built at the yard in Cowes. Previously Sir William had owned a Renato ‘Sonny’ Levi powerboat and CAMPERDOWN has more than a distinct influence of Sonny’s stylish designs.
Originally she was fitted with a pair of eight cylinder 240hp Rolls-Royce petrol engines.
Groves and Gutteridge was formed in the late 1800’s and was the preferred builder for the RNLI and the Admiralty for many years, building lifeboats and Naval craft with double diagonal planking similar to CAMPERDOWN’S construction.
The name Camperdown is well know in Naval circles from the famous ‘Battle of Camperdown’ fought in the North Sea in October 1797 against the larger Dutch fleet. A great Naval victory, led by Admiral Viscount Duncan. Many ships of the line have carried the name Camperdown and with her owners Naval background it is clear she was built to a high specification.
CAMPERDOWN is of double diagonal Honduras Mahogany construction, copper fastened to oak frames and timbers. Part teak laid decks, mahogany superstructure. In 1968 Sir William fitted two eight cylinder 185hp Cummins diesel engines.
From 1975 to 1976 Mr S E Whisken of Ashling Crescent, Bournemouth owned CAMPERDOWN and from 1977 to 1980 David Emmett of Woodford, Essex. Her home ports were Christchurch and Lymington respectively. She had a major refit at Lallow’s in Cowes in the 1990s. The previous owner, Mike Till found CAMPERDOWN in the late 1990’s ashore, ( she had been little used over the previous 10 years ) and had been laid up near Yarmouth. After a poor survey, he took the brave decision to restore her.
Yarmouth Marine Services carried out the work to a very high standard and the transom and 28 feet of port and starboard hull were replaced, nearly three quarters of the entire hull. The hull was replaced with triple diagonal Honduras mahogany using epoxy resin.
Most of the superstructure was renewed. All the internal lining were replaced with 50mm ash strips to increase the ventilation to the hull.
The engines had been fully restored, 2 x 212hp FORD SABRE DIESEL ENGINES, fitted new 1990s, low hours, ( approx 180 ) giving a cruising speed of 12 knots (1,700 revs) and top speed of about 16 knots (2,200 revs) 360 gallon fuel capacity in three tanks. Bilge fans, four batteries (new 2016) 240 volt shore-power. 200 gallon fresh water capacity in two tanks. Trim tabs.
These engines were completely restored and replaced in CAMPERDOWN.
New electrical and plumbing works and a complete re-paint throughout completed the restoration works which cost £160,000. She was relaunched in 2011 and has since cruise the Solent and South Coast from her East Cowes mooring.
Traditional accommodation with teak joinery and white enamel paintwork. Eberspacher heating.
Aft Stateroom with double berth and dressing table. Ensuite shower/heads with pump out wc.
Deck Saloon with dinette, helm position to port. Access to starboard galley with stainless steel sink unit, microwave, fridge, pantry and crockery lockers.
Fore Cabin with three single berths and ensuite heads compartment.
Raymarine 120 Chart Plotter
Raymarine 120 Radar
Raymarine Auto Pilot
Raymarine Speed / Distance Log
Danforth Bower Anchor
Window Covers, Cockpit Cover
Four bilge pumps
Fenders & Warps
Wooden Tender in transom davits with Honda 2.5 O B Motor
A stylish and well-built classic 1960s motor-cruiser the subject of considerable expenditure in previous ownership. Spacious well presented and ideal for extended estuary, coastal or river cruising with three cabin layout including owners aft stateroom.
Lying: Isle of Wight
Guide: SOLD – November 2017
Viewing: Through the agents – CLASSIC YACHT BROKERAGE – 01905-356482