HISTORY & DESCRIPTION:
The Zyklon design first drawn by Dr T Harrison Butler in the mid 1920’s has become an icon of pocket cruising yachts.
In 1937 THB was approached by Captain O M Watts to produce a weatherly 4 tonner which could be built on a production-line basis, the first of it’s kind in the UK. THB revised his earlier Cyclone design to produce the Zyklon Class. Captain Watts approached the old established Brentford joiners and timber merchants Alfred Lockhart and a factory was set-up in late 1937 where the first example was built. The design was marketed as the ‘Z Four – Tonner’ and can be distinguished by the letter Z on the stemhead.
In 1938, the first full year of production fourteen examples were completed. In order to complete the yachts quickly and economically an efficient assembly and costing system was used. The work was divided in to twelve operations using pre-made parts and sub-assemblies taken into stock. The construction is novel, the hulls were built upside down on a steel mould taking four men a week to plank. A six week delivery for all Z4 orders was quoted, the price in 1938 being £297, rising to £339 in 1939.
By the end of 1939 forty-eight ‘Z’ Four Tonners had been built and sold and the Zyklon Design was gaining a superb reputation with Yachting Monthly featuring extended voyages. Had the Second World War not intervened many more examples would have been built, although several other boatyards also built examples of the Zyklon design.
Captain Watts had plans to build and market other THB designs however after the war Lockharts were engaged with joinery work to repair bomb damaged houses in London and materials were scarce for yacht building.
Carvel larch planked hull, copper fastened to steam-bent timbers. Cast iron 1.25 ton iron cast keel. Teak brightwork and cockpit.
Two berth cabin with Taylors heater. Galley having two burner Origo spirit stove. Baby Blake heads. Gimballed oil lamps.
9hp Yanmar 1GM10 diesel, offset folding propeller. 25 litre stainless steel fuel tank. Serviced 2015. New stern gland and shaft log fitted 2013.
Fractional bermudian sloop rig. Deck stepped timber mast and spars, professionally re-varnished 2016. Furling genoa. Mainsail.
Plough bower anchor with 8mm chain, plough kedge anchor. Tri-colour masthead light. Wind indicator / VHF aerial, Icom VHF, Nasa depth / log. Mooring warps, Coastal fare pack, fire extinguisher, ensign and staff, spare genoa sheets, some engine spares, fenders.
Mary Gray, previously sold by Classic Yacht Brokerage on three occasions, over the last twenty-five years is probably one of the best ‘Z’ Four-Tonners available on the market. The past four owners have lavished much time and money on her, particularly a Flag Officer of the Harrison Butler Association and member of Classic Boat Magazine. During the winter of 2008 / 09 the iron strap floors were replaced with new timber floors, new oak rudder built and fitted, and all metal straps re-galvanised.
Images – Dated 27th November 2016
Lying Ashore: Solent
Viewing: By arrangement through CLASSIC YACHT BROKERAGE