HISTORY & DESCRIPTION:
The Bates Starcraft need little introduction as one of the UK’s most success wooden motor-cruiser designs, produced by a family run boat-builders on the River Thames at Chertsey. The business, founded in 1948 continued until the mid 1970’s offering a range of vessel for sale from small cruisers to large motor-yachts.
The ’33’ was a popular mid range size of which about thirty-five examples are know to have been built. The aft cabin version offers accommodation for up to six persons in a light and spacious interior with the distinct 1950’s / 60’s styling which has become synonymous with the Starcraft.
A dedicated owners club was formed in 1993 by Starcraft enthusiasts and members of the Bates family. The club holds regular events and is a good source of information and support in maintaining a classic motor-cruiser.
White Sands , ex. White Minx, ex. Trerise was built in 1962 and although little is currently known about her early history she spent the 1980’s moored on the River Witham at Boston. In new ownership White Sands was brought over to Hertfordshire and in recent years a full restoration was contemplated. The fittings and part of the interior were removed for refurbishment and work begun on stripping the hull.
The vessel is offered as a viable project with all original fittings and the option of a quantity of 1960’s Honduras Mahogany veneers to re-face the superstructure.
Double diagonal teak hull, copper fastened to steam bent oak timbers. Mahogany superstructure. Mahogany fitted interior with original joinery and fittings. Teak laid deck over marine-ply. Transom stern with trim-tabs, hard chine, raked flared bow.
Saloon: All original fixtures, cocktail cabinet, instrument console, two tables between seats / bunks. Original doors.
Aft Cabin: Large and small cupboards, two drawers, single bunks, dressing table.
Galley: Stainless steel sink unit, double drainer with taps, Electrolux fridge, pantry and crockery lockers.
Heads: Sea toilet.
Fore-cabin: Two single berths, chain locker.
Engines: Twin 35hp Thornycroft 160 diesel engines with 1:1 Meadows gearboxes (installed mid 1960’s) Stainless steel propeller shafts. New custom made bronze propellers. Four stainless / bronze fuel tanks, total capacity 80 gallons.
Anchor winch with anchor and chain.
Pair galvanised davits.
Mooring and fender cleats.
Clock & Barometer.
Mahogany bathing ladder.
Aluminium window trims.
Various locks, catches and hinges.
Two Lucas air horns ( need of repair)
Mahogany trim and cover strips.
This must be a very rare opportunity to acquire a worthwhile and valuable restoration project of a popular motor-cruiser. Commercially viable for both professionals and enthusiasts with a well built teak hull and period fittings.
Guide: Sold- March 2013
Viewing: Through the brokers.